Ripe orange and grapefruit are delicious all on their own. But once in a while, marinating them in a little maple syrup takes it over the top. This simple and easy raw vegan maple infused orange and grapefruit dish is a version of my mom’s recipe. She used to make us orange and grapefruit segments marinated in honey. My little brother and I both loved them as kids. She would marinate it for at least a few hours to overnight, and the oranges and grapefruit took on this wonderful honey flavor and sweetness. For my raw vegan version, I switched to maple syrup instead of honey, and added some mint leaves for some zesty zing. The results were oh so good!
Start by segmenting the oranges and grapefruit. I like using different colored varieties, like adding blood oranges and red grapefruit to the mix to make it colorful and vibrant.
Transfer the oranges and grapefruit segments into a glass storage container and pour in the maple syrup. Toss gently to make sure the segments are coated with the syrup. You can serve right away or pop on the lid and let it marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours to overnight.
Once it’s ready, gently mix in some roughly chopped mint leaves and serve. Garnish with a small sprig of mint leave.
Enjoy this refreshing, sweet and tangy quick fix dessert as is, or even as a salad topper!
- 2 naval oranges
- 2 blood oranges or 2 more naval oranges
- 2 grapefruit
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 6-7 mint leaves roughly chopped
- A small sprig of mint leave for garnish
- Segment the oranges and grapefruit.
- Transfer the orange and grapefruit segments into a glass storage container and pour in the maple syrup.
- Toss gently to make sure the segments are coated with the syrup. Serve immediately or pop on the lid and let it marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours to overnight.
- Mix in some roughly chopped mint leaves right before plating. Plate and drizzle some of the liquid on top. Garnish with a small sprig of mint leave.
You can substitute raw honey instead of maple syrup if you prefer.