Spaghetti aglio e olio is an extremely simple pasta consisting of only 5 ingredients. Pasta, garlic, chili, olive oil, and salt. It’s garlicy and spicy, two of my favorite flavors. I used to make it all the time since it was a great quick fix recipe and I usually had all the ingredients on hand.
I decided to come up with a healthier alternative version, making it a raw vegan spaghetti aglio e olio. Swapping the regular spaghetti noodles with zuchinni noodles or zughetti, makes it a lighter, healthier option. No compromise on the taste though. I actually prefer the raw version over the cooked one I used to make, because I don’t feel “heavy” or bogged down afterwards.
My secret ingredient for recreating the rich garlic flavor is garlic flavored olive oil. I like the one from Trader Joe’s.
Let’s get right into making this raw vegan spaghetti aglio e olio! We start by preparing the zucchini noodles. This spiralizer works like a charm. You can find it on Amazon or at kitchen equipment stores.
If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can also use a mandolin slicer and make fettuccine like noodles.
To make the zucchini pasta using a spiralizer, chop off the ends of the zucchini before setting it up on the spiralizer. Turn the handle until the zucchini turns into noodles! Cut up the noodles or zughetti a few times to shorten it, so it’s easier to eat.
I used yellow zucchini to make it look more like pasta for pictures, but you can use regular green zucchini too. As a matter of fact, I normally just use the regular zucchini.
Transfer the zucchini pasta into a large bowl. Add in all the ingredients and toss well. That’s it!
Serve immediately. Zucchini pasta will start to release more water as it sits. I garnished the pasta with some dehydrated garlic slices and a chili pepper. You can also sprinkle raw vegan parmesan cheese if you want to add some cheesy flavor to it.
Garlic lovers, you need this in your life.
- 4 zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons garlic infused cold pressed olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼〜1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼〜1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar (optional)
- Some dried sliced garlic for garnish (optional)
- Fit your ⅛ inch spacing blade. Top and tail the zucchini, and place it onto the spiralizer and turn the handle to make the noodles.
- Chop it a few times so that the noodles aren't too long and easier to eat.
- Top and tail the zucchini, and slice the zucchini length wise.
- Stack the slices and cut them into fettuccine size noodles.
- Transfer the zucchini pasta into a large bowl.
- Smash the garlic clove well and mince fine.
- Add in the garlic infused olive oil, minced garlic, chili flakes, salt, and coconut sugar (optional) and toss well.
- Garnish with dried garlic slices (optional) and serve immediately.
Sprinkle some of the raw vegan parmesan cheese for some added cheesy flavor.